Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Favorite Homemade Bread Using a Heavy-Duty Mixer

(Makes 5 loaves of bread)

  • 1/2 cup oil (I use olive oil)
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1 Tablespoon salt, heaping (I use sea salt)
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 10 cups flour (I use 4 wheat & 6 white)
  • 5 cups warm water
  • 3 Tablespoons yeast
  • 2 cups additional flour, add as needed

Place ingredients into your heavy duty mixer (I have a Bosch and LOVE it!) in the order listed (except the 2 cups additional flour) . Knead on Speed 1, quickly adding in the additional flour until the dough pulls away from side of bowl. Then knead for 6-8 minutes on Speed 2. **See note below for 2-rise option. Remove dough, divide into 5 loaves, and place in pans to rise. Let rise for about 30-45 minutes or until double in size (I turn the oven on for a few minutes to warm it up and then turn it off. I then place the bread pans in the oven with the oven light on to rise. When bread is done rising, turn oven on to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops and sides of bread are brown. Remove from pans and let cool completely before storing. This bread freezes well too!

To make cinnamon-raisin bread, add 2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 2 cups chopped raisins to the dough when kneading.

**If you want, you can allow the dough to rise in a large, greased bowl, once before dividing up and letting it rise in the pans. This is actually recommended, but for time sake I have always just did the one rise in the pans. I recently started using more wheat flour (6 wheat/4 white) and the second rise has really helped the texture of the bread! This is a great step as you move towards using ALL whole wheat flour. After you have mastered this bread recipe, move on to my 100% Whole Wheat Bread Using the 2-Stage Process recipe!