Thursday, May 1, 2008

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

NOTE: I decided to try a banana variation to my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins....I made some this morning and they were a hit! I bet this recipe could even be used to make a nice banana cake as well! I'll have to try that next time :). Enjoy!

The Day Before, mix up the following in a plastic bowl, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and let sit out on the counter until the next morning. (I actually start these a whole 24 hours before I want to bake them. Allowing the flour to soak for 24 hours gives you the best nutritional benefit! So…get this soaking the morning before you want them for breakfast.)

  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup buttermilk (can use homemade)
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted

The Next Morning: Add the following and mix well with a mixer until the batter is smooth and the lumps of flour are gone:

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups mashed bananas

Next, mix in the rest of the dry ingredients with the mixer:

  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt

Then stir in the chocolate chips:

  • 2 cups chocolate chips

Put in greased muffin tins (see note below). Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

Yield: 24 muffins

Note: I like to use the silicone (rubber-like) muffin pans. You don't have to grease the pans at all and the muffins pop right out! The muffins also bake very evenly and nice in these pans.