Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dishwasher Detergent

After doing some research on the internet, I decided to try making my own dishwasher detergent. It is very easy to make and very inexpensive! I have found this recipe to work great so far. I know a lot depends on the water you have...whether it is hard water, etc...but this works great for me. Here it is:

Mix the following in a small tupperware container with a lid:

  • 1 cup Borax
  • 1 cup Baking Soda
  • *2 cups dishwasher detergent (cheap powder kind)
*This is optional, but I have found it does a bit better if this is added. I think it really depends of your water. Try the borax and baking soda solution first. If it doesn't seem to clean good, then try adding in the store-bought dishwasher detergent.

To use: Put 1 Tablespoon of detergent into your dishwasher's detergent compartment..but DON'T CLOSE IT (or just use the pre-wash compartment)! Run your dishwasher as normal. If you have hard water, you may need to use more detergent..up to 3 Tablespoons. I used 3 Tablespoons at first and it was way to much. It left white film on the dishes. You'll just have to experiment and see what works best for you.

I also fill the rinse aid compartment with white vinegar once a week or so. It leaves the dishes sparkling clean!