Thursday, April 17, 2008

Homemade Stick Deodorant

I have been wanting to try to make my own deodorant for some time now, but never seemed to find a good recipe. Well, I think I found one that works great! I made some yesterday and it really does work and it is easy to make. Here is the recipe:

Homemade Stick Deodorant

1/4 cup Baking soda
1/4 cup Cornstarch
4-5 Tablespoons Coconut oil, melted
Fragrance oil (optional - I added a few drops of sweet vanilla scent and it smells so good!)

Mix baking soda and cornstarch. If you use about 1/4 cup of each, it will make enough to fill an old deodorant container. Melt the coconut oil and add slowly, a little at a time, to the baking soda and cornstarch mix. Mix with a spoon and keep adding coconut oil until the mixture is pretty firm but holds together. You don't want it runny or too soft.

Scoop the mixture into an old deodorant container to harden. Once it hardens it is ready to use.

Note: When I made this, it was not hard at all when I put it in the container. I didn't realize it would harden up so much. After it hardened I realized that I probably could have added a bit more coconut oil and it would have been ok. So, experiment and see what works best. You don't want it too hard, or it won't go on very good. But too soft won't work either. Have fun!